Tuesday, February 6, 2007

This We'll Defend

I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, …I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same….”

Fragment of the military oath upon accepting a commission in the US Military

Lt. Ehren Watada doesn't want to go back to Iraq. Understandable.

What are his motives?

I was a grunt. 11B10. I took the same oath, but it weighed lighter on my psyche. I was more involved in the vicissitudes of staying alive and the foolishness of of command.

But when one is an officer, perhaps it should be the case that discussions and controversy should occur at this point. A lieutenant should perhaps question the legitimacy of a war. The upper command will not do so. They will spout what is wanted to secure their power and perquisites. They will throw away soldiers lives in mad missions whose core is political and economic.

One must remember at all time that the pentagon is a large corporation. It wants power and money and has a unique means to both. I doubt sincerely that the upper command gives a damn about Iraq, but their access to power and money depend on the continuance of the forever war.

Watada will go to jail. Tough shit. You signed on the line to play by the UCMJ. You are fucked my friend.

The rest of us might be too.

No comments: