The Automatic Earth is one of my favorite sites. Ilargi and Stoneleigh are exceptional in their cogency and the sustained quality of their thoughts and observations. Bravo.
Here is a list that they published yesterday. I would beg you all to think of your answers to the questions here. Then go spend some serious time thinking about what exactly it is that can be done.
- Do you believe we've seen the last bank bail-out?
- Do you believe home prices will start rising again soon?
- Do you believe that we will see a reversal in job losses, that anytime in the foreseeable future more jobs will be created than lost?
- Do you believe your pension plan will make up for its 2008 losses before 2012?
- Do you believe your municipality and state will get their finances under control by 2010?
- Do you believe your municipality and state will be able to avoid bankruptcy?
- Do you believe your employer will be able to avoid bankruptcy?
- Do you believe your children will be better off than you are?
- Do you believe your children will be better off than your parents were?
- Do you believe global trade will recover to its 2005-6 highs?
- Do you think it should, given how much consists of trinkets
- Do you believe we will have enough energy to burn when the time comes to rebuild?
- Do you believe alternative energy forms will be able to replace fossil fuels in the recovery, if and when it comes?
- Do you believe banks that have trillions in gambling losses have a right to your money to keep them standing?
- Do you believe it's a good idea to have employees from broke(n) banks enter government in order to make decisions on their fate?
- Do you feel confident about your future?
- Do you feel confident about the future of your children?
I am not trying to be funny here, but what is happening currently in America. I think that we should shut our mouths for a bit, turn our brains on for a bit, and come up with a better plan. I don’t know what it is yet, but it has to be better than what we are doing now