Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Kine That Tread

OK,  It would appear to me that around 11% of the population is receiving food stamps

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aDhdHJrK42P0

Think about that.  One out of nine is taking money to make ends meet.  There are some chiselers here, but not that many.  There are a bunch more folks who need it.

So, for the next bit, I think that we ought to gird our Christian loins and take care of our brothers.  Now is not the time for welfare reform.  Now is the time to help our fellow citizens eat and live. 

Sure, some of it is going to get wasted, but I will accept that to in order to make make to attempt to keep a child from going hungry.  I will be happy to take this less than optimal solution and keep things going rather than deny benefits and perhaps do harm.

Right now we are handing the banks a trillion bucks or so.  I think that we can afford to spring for the three billion that is going into the food stamp program.  Hell, lets throw in six billion.  Even if it is money down the toilet, at least it will go through some folk's bodies on the way there.

2 comments:

HermitJim said...

Now I have to admit that this makes a lot of sense to me. I'm in favor 100%!

Charles Kingsley Michaelson, III said...

Yeah, team, that'd really be making sure no child got left behind.