Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Joining

I have always thought that it is better to have friends than guns.  It just works out that most of my friends have guns.  So much the better.

So lately, I have been thinking about how to put together a like minded group.  But the more that I think about it, this seems like a bad idea.  Because you see, getting together and creating a prep group may seem like a good idea, but I am beginning to think that it might not get you where you need to go.

I think that perhaps the way that you need to start is to join a local group of any flavor and start working with that group to fulfill a common goal outside of prepping.  Then as you create bonds and links with others, you can start creating a subgroup that you see eye to eye with.

Joining an existing group also has a tendency of weeding out a lot of folks who really are just parlor pinks. By joining an existing group of any type, you have a pre-vetted group of people who think beyond themselves.  I think that you and I may well be pleasantly surprised that this type of folk is probably quite receptive to prepping.

So, in the next week, I am going out hunting to find a group that I can get along with.  Lions, Eagles, Rotary, American Legion.  I'm gonna check them all out.  I going to take the best fit and then work hard to make the fit better.

Wish me luck.

3 comments:

treesong said...

Interesting perspective! I'll have to consider that. Thanks.

tweell said...

Good luck!

Mayberry said...

Good luck. At least it will give you a bit of inside perspective on group dynamics. Could prove valuable...