Sunday, October 16, 2011

Here at Home


Had an occupy event down home in Vancouver yesterday.  Pretty interesting.

Mostly, I was happy to see folks getting out and starting to talk.  Yeah, yeah, there was no "clear message" and the speeches were uninspired, but that really isn't the point.  Folks were out talking, taking in a nice day, and trying to figure out what the hell it was that was happening to them.




We are at the trying on stage for slogans right now.  99% appears to be the leader, and folks use it quite a bit.  There is a hodge-podge of folks trotting out their nominees for the root of the problem


I am getting some hope.  There are pitfalls to avoid.  The democrat-whores are trying to co-opt the movement the way that the republican-whores co-opted the tea-baggers.  The movement has to start coalescing and getting the non-Che Guevara folks with a lick of sense out in front.

But, I would guess between 500 and 1,000 folks came out today in a sleepy little bedroom community to express discontent.  You really have to be a little hopeful.

2 comments:

Gather ye marbles said...

Interesting, thanks for the pics. I see The Columbian (Vancouver WA newspaper) gave this lots of coverage, with a front page story, live blog, photos and video. They put the turnout at 700 or so, and cite estimates of 1,000-1,100 peak crowd. You had a more regular folks crowd than at the urban demos, where the alternative types are more in evidence. Looks like an enjoyable day for those who turned out.

Phil said...

My dad went to that.
I'm proud of both of ya.

I am currently upriver at my new wife's place or I would have been right beside him.