Thursday, December 1, 2011

Written off-line using Gedit on Monday the 28th.

I always get up earlier than strictly necessary in order to pour a couple of cups of coffee down my gullet and to get all my shit into one dufflebag before I head out to work for the day. Lately that time seems to be used in reading headlines on my favorite bitching sites on the web and getting my nose out of joint because of the antics that the world is going through.

Today I woke up and there was (gasp) no Internet connection from my router. Coffee still flowed down my throat (I forgot to set up the coffeemaker last evening and I had to settle for some pretty skanky instant coffee instead). The world appears to be the same walking out the door. My life on a day to day sense does not appear to be negatively impacted by the loss of bits flowing through the router.

So now it is Tuesday the 29th. This time the coffee was made and the Internet was on. No real big difference in the day to day activities. But I decided that it would be mentally healthier for me to drop off the web and get to work writing.

The end lesson of the past couple of days is that the web and the news media that you get through trolling through the internet doing what some folks euphemistically refer to as "research" is really the same distraction that the mainstream media offers us. Just a different flavor. Plopping your big nasty butt next to a laptop and surfing is just as mind numbing as the CBS evening news.

I get too caught up in the "big picture". It is just such a sexy beast. But in truth, you have to keep the desire to keep checking on it to a minimum. I think that I have to get a grip on it again. Back to once a week reads and keeping the internet "research" to a minimum.

Back to writing the novel

3 comments:

Gather ye marbles said...

"Back to once a week reads and keeping the internet 'research' to a minimum." This is a very sane choice. When I get on Google News I always think I'm going to focus on the interesting and important stuff, but I keep returning "like a dog to its vomit" (Proverbs 26:11) to Herman Cain's campaign. Well at least that will be over soon.

Mayberry said...

Novel writing is certainly side tracked by web surfing. Mine has been loping along due to "keeping up with current events". But I do feel uninformed if I don't peek at the "news" and hit a few of my daily blog reads, at least. Yours being one of them. Oh well, I look forward to your novel : )

Phil said...

I am a lot closer to you than I was a couple of months ago, I can see part of the High School on the hill when I pull out of the driveway.

Quest went belly up for three days.

Yay.

Then Verizon broke another one off in my ass.

Happy holidays, I hate 'em but the wife is all over that like white on rice.

I drew the line at outdoor lights.