Thursday, December 27, 2012

Blue Christmas

I, for one, am quite happy that Christmas is over.  It is not that I am Scroogy, and I understand the holiday and it's roots, but it is just getting kind of stale.

This was a pretty decent year.  Yes, I spent more than I should have on the boyos new iPods, but it placates them as phone replacements and they have been good this year.  I got everyone else reasonable presents that they appeared to enjoy and managed not to feel to sorry for myself and didn't buy myself a placation present.

The deal with Christmas is that it all about gifts here.  It is a simulacrum of the holiday, with consumption being a replacement for celebration.

I always have been surprised that in a country/culture such as ours, which claims Christianity as its core tenet, that we make such a huge deal out of Christmas.  Granted, a virgin birth is a trick, but seeing as turkeys, sharks, and other critters can pull off the trick, I don't put it up there at the top of the miracle heap.

But man, can we go out of our way to completely ignore the meaning of Christmas, replacing the birth of a savior with the charting of economic trends as the savior of our economy.

Nope.  I am waiting for Easter.  

1 comment:

russell1200 said...

The virgin birth is one of the few items that Matthew and Luke agree on - outside of the name of the parents, and different reasons that the birth occured in Bethlehem.

Of course the text of Isaiah may have had something to with the independent attestation.

Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel. (Isaiah 7:14)