Sunday, November 30, 2014

I may be getting over it

For years, I was a full-on nerd.  Had to buy the latest and greatest box at the first blush of new tech.

Now....I have been noticing that hings have been changing.  My seven year old Compaq is currently back in use (fried hard drive) and so I brought this old dog out and updated my linux.

cat /proc/meminfo
cat /proc/cpuinfo

gave me these screens:





and 



So a seven year old computer with dual pentiums, 2gb of RAM, running LinuxMint Quiana, a mail client (evolution) a big spreadsheet (LibreOffice) and five or six pages worth of Chromium is loafing along at around 50% memory use and maybe 25% CPU.

There is plenty of there there.  Granted, the beastie has a SSD drive to speed things up, but it really cruises enough for any task.  Around thirty seconds to fully boot from power-off.  Not a crash or a hiccup all week.

What do you use your computer for?  I think that you will find that for most purposes, you can make things last a lot longer than you think.

How much of your computer purchases are driven by the words "new" or "more powerful" instead of "fully functional.

No comments: