Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Basic Beans



I am of the opinion that beans and rice are going to be a big part of everyone's life in the years to come.  I don't see a problem with this.

Look, living high off the hog has to come to an end soon.  If you think that going out and eating 60% of your calorie intake as animal protein is going to last, I am afraid I have some painful news for you.

So, lets go over beans in detail.  I am personally enamored with black beans (turtle beans).  Best of the breed in my mind.  They have to be cooked right and seasoned, but they are good for you, cheap, and nutritious.

I kinda go Jamaican with my spice mix.  I also use bulk dried spices because while the survivalist preppers are wrong about a lot of things, they are right about a lot of things too.

Soak 2 cups of dried beans overnight

Discard soak water, rinse well and allow to drain.

Add into the pressure cooker:
  • 1/2 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup dried onions
  • 2 tablespoons dried red chilis
  • 1 tablespoon chicken-tomato bouillion
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
Add 3-1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil.  Add in the rinsed and drained black beans, put the top on, bring up to full pressure, turn off the burner and leave it until it cools.

Eat...  Very good on salads of just spoon it into your mouth

No comments: