Friday, August 10, 2018

Mindset for Alternatives



In a previous post, I discussed the methodology for learning about magic.

This is an extension of the ideas first seen there.

When you start dealing with magic, you have to examine a lot of your current beliefs and attempt to reconcile the nature of what you brought to the table with what folks are telling you need to be done.

OK then.  Sounds simple, but the conflicts are enormous.  I would tend to think that the greater bulk of folks out there rejected the harshly enforced western standards from the get go. I wasn't ever fully in that crowd. It seems the magic crowd is folks who have been disaffected and alienated from the mainstream form the get-go.  I don't see this as a problem or a judgment, but the bulk of magic folks just never fit into the day to day of the society where I grew up and currently reside.

The reason that I don't mind is that the same problem is effecting me now. 

I was drawn into science because it answered a lot of the questions about the physical world.  I was able to make effects happen and understand the macro scale of a lot of phenomenon that I saw operating around me every day.  But the more that I learned, the more walls I ran into, and when I started asking the really hard questions, all that science could give me was pretty pictures from computers, a lot of not-very-satisfactory hand waving, and sullen silence.

So I am thinking hard about the way that I think.  A lot of time has went into the world view that has served me until now.  A lot of effort is out there, trying to keep folks like me channeled into their roles as well-meaning servants and grist for the mill.

John Michael speaks of magic as a way for the powerless to gain a modicum of power.  I think that it might be even more than that.  It might even be a means to remove the beams from our eyes to see clearly.  The storm is coming. 


No comments: