Friday, October 12, 2018

Maundering regarding retirement


Talking with Samyukta yesterday about the exigencies of retirement.  My basic problem is that I have none.  My core is remarkably content.  I have some unreasonable desires around the edges, but being human, this doesn't bother me terribly as I realize that they will never be fulfilled.

But my wisdom of the stairs after the talk was that the folks who make a big deal out of making deluxe retirement plans tend toward being the folks who are least able to just relax and enjoy.  This may sound contrary, but hear me out.

Usually retiring deluxe takes a plan and a goal.  People who believe in the plan and goal have to start early with a firm goal in mind.  This is classic.  But truth be told, early retirement begins and ends with the goal of amassing money. 

So retirement in this system requires nothing more and nothing less than chasing the golden calf.  But what happens when the drive and focus for the goal vanishes with the attainment of the goal?  What fills the life then?

If you have spent your life planning and focused, is it truly possible to just kick back and relax after spending thirty some odd years chasing the goal?



No comments: