Sunday, March 1, 2009

Threats

used_car_salesman

OK….don’t think that threats can be unidirectional.  As I have discussed in prior posts, I have been seriously thinking about going back to dial up.  This is cost-related and shaving expenses kind of thing. 

Well, Friday I acted on it.  Got everything settled in to go back to a dial-up system and called into Qwest to cancel.  When I started to go through the process, they stopped me and sent me over to the “customer satisfaction group”. 

So, when I got there, I tried to shut off my line.  They acted as though I was threatening to kill my dog.  The told me of the great things that I could do with the internet, they told me of the time I would save, they told me about the convenience.  I agreed politely with all of their arguments, said I didn’t want it.

So at the end, they said “we don’t want to lose you as a customer”, and they gave me six months free service.  No contract extension, no strings, just six free months.

Huh?   Needless to say, I took the offer, but I say again “Huh”?

So, you guys might want to give it a try. 

4 comments:

Mayberry said...

After Time Warner tried to jack up my rate, I asked them to cancel my service. Same thing, got sent to "customer retention" or whatever. In the end, my rate stayed the same, and I got free basic cable. That was about 4 years ago, still got the same deal....

An Unsheltered Life said...

AOL, at least in the past, was very good about giving you x free months of service when you called in to cancel.

If Qwest is as messed up as AOL is/was, you can call in and try to cancel at the end of your six month "free period" and get more free service. I can't tell you how many times that will work, but free is free, right?

Also: Keep a careful eye on whatever payment method you use(d) with your provider. You don't want them to inadvertently bill you for what's supposed to be free, after all. (AOL was good at that little "mistake," for some reason.)

Stephanie in AR said...

Daughter & sil got the same deal when they called to cancel their tv service. If the business can give away service for free to a few customers, why not just lower the rates for everyone?

Jacob Gittes said...

This could also be seen as an attempt to prevent people from realizing that they do not actually NEED these expensive services (cable TV, high-speed internet, cell phone service, etc.)

The system wants us to stay addicted to these non-essential products that now make up the bulk of our economy.