Friday, May 29, 2009

Monetize (or: to go a'whorin')



Let us speak of vanities.

There is a little place in your blogger dashboard where you can "monetize" your blog with AdSense. In other words, you can begin wearing a sandwich board for Google.

I could use some extra coin. Clicked on the link and went exploring.

Nope...ain't gonna happen.

This is my little vanity. I say what I want and if you don't like it, go someplace else. You don't have to give me any money, and I don't want to be part of advertising for someone who is trying to get you to buy crap that you really don't need.

This is a reminder of what the internet has become. It is a mass media, same as the rest of them. Most of it's bandwidth is spent feeding the machine. Large behemoths like Google and Yahoo and Microsoft skimming off a gazillion little fish.

I think that when the machine starts winding down, the internet will go away

1 comment:

Mayberry said...

It will go away because they'll start charging for everything, in a vain attempt to stay afloat. Not many will be willing to pay for what's been free all these years, especially since they're already being bled dry from so many other directions....