Saturday, February 13, 2010

Security


I am putting a video and some links in on the bottom of this post.  I truly feel that you should all think long and hard about the odd little device upon which you are reading these ravings.

A lot of you are sitting on a system with a wireless connection to the internet, running windows, and blithely writing things that in a less charitable country would be considered sedition.

Now, at some time, the powers that be may take it upon themselves to check in on folks who write such things.  Governments always have and always will take such liberties.  Such is life.  But it may be that you wish to at least make it difficult.  I have spoken of this earlier, and I would recommend that you at least consider these earlier warnings.

Now back to the original point of this discussion, you are sitting in a comfortable spot, planning activities that may or may not meet the approval of some power.  That power takes an interest in you and decides that a look at your writings and contacts may be in order.  With that as a setting, watch this video.


This should raise the hairs on the back of your neck.  So, if it is this easy to break into your network, now your computer sitting there, with all of your files and writing available for perusal.

So now, that you are a little interested, you might want to consider your firewall.  This should help keep folks out of your system.  As before, a determined attacker with extensive capabilities might get through.

So, think about what you are doing.  Take a minute for mature reflection.  protect yourself.

1 comment:

Mayberry said...

I don't care what "they" do. I want them to know that I'm on their ass, and I want them to know that they are completely irrelevant to me...