Monday, June 17, 2013

The Axe You Use

360px-Efi_flowchart_extended.svg

In the recent past, I posted a bit about how Windows 8 didn’t suck too bad.

I stand by that claim, but now I wish to throw in a caveat about the use of that system and its attendant shortcomings.  I don’t have any proof of this worry, and all of this may be just delusional ravings of a borderline paranoid.

Look, excluding the occasional foray into sedition, I am a pretty law-abiding type.  I feel that government can and does have a valid and important place in peoples lives.  Hell, I even work for the Fed.

All that being said, I am in no way shape of form embarrassed regarding my opinion that the US Federal government’s security apparatus is out of control and is no longer responding to the will of the governed, but instead serves the interests and wishes of an oligopoly.

All that being said, lets talk about EUFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface).  This is the basic reason that is why I wrote the first article noted above.   I wasn’t able to get by this little dingus to swap out my operating systems.

Now I am wondering about the nature of this little beast.    Consider this little gem from the Wikipedia article on the Beastie

“UEFI can support remote diagnostics and repair of computers, even without another operating system”

My oh my. 

Think long and hard on that one.  My nice little Windows 8 box that I am cheerfully typing away at, down at the most basic level, I controlled by a beast that is designed to let others in to “repair and diagnose”. 

Thinking back to my previous post, and thinking on the revelations reading about the boot cycle of new PC’s.  I am thinking that it might be a good idea to keep handy an older computer, preferably a laptop with a wireless card, to use for secure communication.

No comments: