Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Cheap Ass Meat

Here in the USA we take our meat seriously.

I eat too much of the stuff.  It will probably kill me.  I will continue eating too much of the stuff.  Meat isn't good for the planet.  There is a lot worse than that going on.  Meat is cruel to the animals.  I never liked cows in the first place, they get what they deserve.  I like pigs, but they have the incredible bad luck of being too damn tasty.

If I were rich, I would eat USDA Choice organic beef, cooked rare, letting me savor the incredible flavor and texture of good meat.

I am poor.  Pork shoulder and brisket are my meats.  High on the hog just isn't available.

Marinade is your friend.

2/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup mirin
Six cloves of garlic
2-3 tablespoons ginger
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper

Now, conventional theory is that you just mix the ingredients together and put it on the meat.  I think that you have to infuse the spices into the liquids.  So I make up the marinade in the morning, let it sit on the stove on the lowest setting for and hour while I write and work.  Turn it off after the hour and let it cool to room temp with the lid on.  Then throw it on the meat in a baggie and let it marinate at least overnight.




No comments: