Monday, December 12, 2016

Gonna Fall


And what did you hear, my blue-eyed son?
And what did you hear, my darling young one?
I heard the sound of a thunder, it roared out a warnin',
Heard the roar of a wave that could drown the whole world,
Heard one hundred drummers whose hands were a-blazin',
Heard ten thousand whisperin' and nobody listenin',
Heard one person starve, I heard many people laughin',
Heard the song of a poet who died in the gutter,
Heard the sound of a clown who cried in the alley,
And it's a hard, and it's a hard, it's a hard, it's a hard,
And it's a hard rain's a-gonna fall.
Bob Dylan 

I am very torn about the performance above.  One of the top ten songs in my version of music excellence, performed by one of the icons of my misspent youth.

But just spend a moment to look at the ironies here, they are legion. I will allow my readers to sit down with a beverage and think about the state of the sell out.  I am grateful that Bob stiffed the rich fucks in the audience.  I am not so happy that Patty took the bait and got dressed up like a servant.  But I will give her the benefit of the doubt, maybe she just wanted to be the one looking them in the eyes when she delivered the message.

The audience is the real core of the irony.  Just look at them.  They are the elites that brought us to this pass.  Well dressed and self absorbed, I think that they were well-pleased by awarding so talented a servant.

But I wonder if they realize that the lyrics of the song were directed at them?  Or do they consider themselves "Sheltered from the Storm"?

No comments: