Monday, October 29, 2018

Why I left in the first damn place


I used to love Apple.  In the days of the mighty Woz and the uber-shill, they were amazing.  Jeez, I even had a Mac SE.

But starting about ten years ago, they changed.  The shiny took pride of place over the purpose.  The trip really started to get traction about the same time that they switched over to Intel and trotted out the IPhone.  It seemed at that time that the focus changed from making cool shit to making lots.of.money.  The IPhone turned Apple from a manufacturer of computers to a manufacturer of status.

With this change came their current attitude of "what have you done for me lately"?  Of perhaps more accurate "How much money have you given me lately"?  If you have the temerity to not buy something from them in the recent past, they cut you adrift with the simple "not supported" and then they let your shiny, expensive toy die on the vine.

I went over to my local recycling store "FreeGeek". I impulse bought an old Ipad 2 with a spiffy bluetooth keyboard for $60.00.  I still think that it is going to be useful for reading and surfing the net while loafing and as a music machine, but other than that it is as useless as tits on a boar hog.

But it does suit a purpose.  I will get some fine use out of it as a connection and a pictureframe, but it is truly a shame to create such a overpowered burden on the environment for nothing other than Apple's unvarnished greed.

No comments: