Saturday, September 19, 2020

Just another chunk of writing. A memo to M&K

Phillip Wilson Steer: Girl Seated on a pier
I am hoping that this picture shows up

I think that I have discovered a new method of publishing for the long run.  Look, we are in one shitty place economically, gotta allow that and I adore Dreamwidth and will stick with them until the cows come home. But as I have spent many a summer day hiking out the near pasture to bring the cows in for milking with Jerry and Thor.  (No real need to do it other than somebody had to open the gate to let them walk back to the barn to get milked), I have a good idea of when cows come home.

Look, I got a sneaking hunch that the cows are on their way home for a lot of folks.  I am doing everything that I can to make sure Dreamwidth isn't one of them, but what I want and what the world dishes out are quite frequently not the same thing.  I love you Dreamwidth, but provisions must be made.

I wrote for years using Blogger (hell, the first post is back in 2006).  Google gives it away and blogging is so passé that they probably just keep it up out of pity and it probably doesn't take that much to maintain.  But it is a strange space.  By Blogger being an elderly relative of a huge monstrous mega-corporation bent on world domination, it doesn't exactly fill by every wish.  In all honesty, neither does Dreamwidth, but their is a more homey, more personal form of capitalism that I vastly prefer. 

So there have been rumblings for the past little while that Blogger has made changes to their free service and there are folks out there who are in high dudgeon as they weren't consulted by a multi-billion dollar entity about their opinion reference the aforementioned changes.  So I went over to check.  As usual, the whiners are just whining.  The platform still does what it always did, they changed some cosmetics around.  But going over there, and worrying about Dreamwidth made me put two and two together and hence I came up with this plan.  I am writing this in a standard, plain vanilla e-mail program (being a Linux maven, Thunderbird is the client of choice).  As you two are of the writing ilk, I thought that you may well be interested in how this works.  Keith has a great little blog and I have been trying to lead Michael into the blogging wasteland for years.  Since blogger has a "e-mail in your posts" feature, I can just work out the piece at my leisure and it stays in my "Drafts" folder until I feel ist is good to go, then I just hit send.  Instant post on Blogger. 

Now the real beauty of this is that I can now avoid the primitive and truly not-very-good editor that is foisted on me by Dreamwidth and still post there for what I hope will be a long relationship.  And it would appear that by doing my writing in the processor on Thunderbird does some nice things to the formatting. 

Archaeology can be overlooked as a discipline, I think, but it's incredibly important to have this other way of approaching the past - not just through historical documents, but through actual physical remains - objects, buildings and the layout of our towns.

Alice Roberts

Now, if this works the way that I think, the quote in green will have a nice outline around it.

https://degringolade.dreamwidth.org/

https://mightaswellliebackandenjoyit.blogspot.com/


The picture a the top is from over at WikiArt (If it shows up, this is all experimental at this

OK:  That is the yackity yack for today.  I will be leaving this post exactly as it is in order to serve as a heads up for others who can perhaps find it useful.



No comments: