Friday, September 28, 2018

Non Serviam


Samyukta is becoming a reasonably close friend.  She has been accusing me of being a hippie for some time now.  I am coming to the conclusion that she is correct.

Look, a lot of the problem is trying to figure out what to do with my body and mind in my dotage.  To me, the American ideal of retirement is about as inviting as a colonoscopy.  I find the level of self absorption and excess required to have what is considered a "good" retirement is just well past my abilities.  If I tried it, I would go crazier than what I already am.

My perfect retirement would have work in it to about the tune of 16-20 hours a week.  I have been eyeballing Castor's job at the pizza joint as a possibility.

I think that retirement in America is some kind of totem, where a "good" retirement serves as notice that the said retireee was a player and was sufficiently wired in to the system that the big boys agreed to share some of their loot.  I usually involved coming to work at a boring job and doing a tiny piece of the puzzle for a corporation primarily focused on fucking other people out of things.

I chose the other route, tried to get rich building something new with small companies.  Well, that didn't work out.  So then I said fuck it and took a lowish-level job at the fedguv ranch.  I think that I can hang out with this for some time yet.

So, in a nutshell, I want to have a part time job doing something kinda low-tech, a small place to live with a garden, a set of good books, 3 pairs of good walking shoes, and a reasonable supply of pot and whiskey.  I am planning to start on December 4, 2022.




No comments: