Friday, September 14, 2018

Request For Proposals

You gotta love governmentese.  The title is in honor of the long ago when I spent too much time getting other people to do the shit that I wasn't capable of doing myself.  The government sector doesn't usually have the oomph to get big projects done with their staff.   The jobs are usually too big and the in-house expertise too small.

So there is usually a person working for the guvmint that knows thaat he doesn't have the juice to get the job done right, so he goes the the agency/entity and gets castigated for his lack of knowledge and general unworthiness, then the agency/entity grudgingly gives him permission to go out and find someone competent to do the job.

That person then goes out and asks folks to come up with how to do the project.  

I am not out of ideas, but as a test to see  whether anyone is reading, I am asking folks to respond to the following questions so that I can lay an ear on the zeitgeist and further writing.

So:
  •  What % chance of collapse?
  • Most likely scenario if chance greater than zero.
  • Best guess for timeline for that scenario.
I am going to write anyway, but input would be happily accepted.

4 comments:

JustMe said...

I think you overestimate the non-governmental talent. I worked as the financial manager of an NIH Superfund grant at a major university ($7 bil/yr for a decade at least). The task was to find ways to ameliorate the toxic wastes at superfund sites. Abject failures abounded despite the rah-rah on the websites. The head of the department once told me that everything they tried just made things worse.

JustMe said...

oops sorry
should be 7mil not 7bil

Degringolade said...

Sherril:

No, I don't overestimate their skill. I was just noting that governmental bodies don't always have any real expertise at hand and are at the mercy of "the market" with its normal ratio of competent, hard working folks and charlatans who just want to attach themselves to the government teat.

JustMe said...

" I was just noting that governmental bodies don't always have any real expertise at hand".
And what i was noting is that even really hard working very intelligent folks sometimes do not have the expertise for some projects/problems. Some things are not just snafu but too broke to be fixed.