Thursday, September 13, 2018

Criteria used in planning


Always plan for the worst case scenario.  Nice glib statement.  Utterly useless as advice.

Assignment of chance to an array of possible scenarios.  Now we are getting somewhere.

I have never really liked the phrase " Risk Management" but in the real sense when you are planning for the future all you are doing is playing a game inside your head of role-playing out a series of likely scenarios and then doing a bit of hand waving to explain your proposed adaptations to the conditions of the various scenarios.

Now my worst case analysis is a meteor smashing into the earth bearing sex-crazed tentacle creatures who will tentacle-rape me.  You will forgive me, but I really don't see a whole lot of value to my life by planning for worst-case.

What I tend to do is break down scenarios in these catogories

  1.  Familial
  2. Economic
  3. Political
  4. Spiritual
Now, there is a great deal of slop between these broad categories.  The family kinda takes care of itself.  I am blessed to be in a setting where, while it isn't Ozzie and Harriet, seems to be a loving and mutually supporting cast of characters.

The Economic and political are the one that allow much more unwanted external input into my life.  I can defer a lot on the badness by just keeping a weather eye on the proceedings.  If it is looking bad, I tend to watch closer, right now, I am considering a closer watch in the political realm, because the "resistance" seems to be dead set on forcing fuckhead into bad decisions out of petulant spite.

That political "forcing" will have some serious repercussions in the economic category.  The economy is being watched closely right now, because the dreamland of prosperity that we currently consider our due stands a better than fair chance of being a mirage. 

The spiritual is both the easy one and the hard one.  Ignoring the petty and insistent mewling of the Christers who are the predominant noise-creating units does make ones spiritual life a lot easier.   What I am hoping for now is not so much fulfillment of dreams as contentment with my life. 



No comments: