Thursday, October 22, 2020

Rambling

Getting up at at 'em seems easier when I take transit to work.  When I slug too much and don't get my steps in, I get stiff and cranky and feel old.  Waling every day, even the 7,000 steps that I set myself as a minimum, makes me feel better.  I refuse to become an exercise nazi where things revolve around exercise and the rituals thereof, but I do have to get out and walk every day a decent amount.

I have been pretty good at not paying attention to the election.  I feel that my mind is better for this lack.  

I am still curious about the Amy Coney Barrett nomination.  I am certain that she is a nice lady.  I am certain that she is as smart as a whip. She is probably going to be a reasonably good Supreme Court Justice.  OK.

But she does appear to be an advocate for corporate and she is an Originalist.  I have a problem with the corporate thing and a giggle at the Originalist thing.

As for the corporate thing, only time will tell.  Supreme Court Judges tend to do what they damn well please when they finally get full tenure and it appears that a lot of them try to go a little out of the way to prove that they aren't in the pocket of the President/Party that got them there.  Only time will tell.

The originalist thing has always been fascinating to me.  I am not a fan of the folks who constantly rail about a "living document" when referring to law.  To me that translates roughly as expedience coupled with "the law is what I say it is" mentality.  Not a fan, thank you.

Originalist seem to take a Ouija board approach to the problem.  I can see them in a dark room, lighting candles, and approaching the mental temple of the ancestors to define what was meant by the law when it was written.

I would not want to be a Supreme Court Justice.  Looks to me as though they have to split Solomon's baby way too often for my taste.  Mediating between perceived privilege and perceived oppression would be a thankless job.


No comments: