Wednesday, October 21, 2020

View from a Bar

I am reconsidering masks.    I am not certain of their efficacy in stopping a epidemiological outbreak.  But truth be told, they can't hurt so I play along.  No harm. No Foul.  Now I can live with the arguments presented by the anti-mask crowd.  I even tend to agree for the most part.  But one must fully examine the pros and cons of any benefit in a valid cost/benefit analysis.

But at work yesterday, I started realizing that they have some social advantages that most folks might want to at least consider. 
  1. The Harrison Bergeron Effect:  Now anyone who has ever worked in a large organization have seen the pretty boy/girls use their looks and their flirting to get access to goods and services within the organization that is not actually due them.  Pretty boys/girls are ruthless that way.  Masks cut back on that ability.  By pulling physical attraction and desire to please the pretty people out of the loop, even in a limited degree, allows a more fair workplace.
  2. Decrease in subordinate faux-pas:  With the advent of (and potentially overreaction to) the Rona, organizations have become quite desperate in their always-present proclivities to "throw shit at the wall and see what sticks".  This has caused quite a few awkward situations where smirks and stifled laughter (not to mention stunned disbelief) are easily discernible on the aforementioned subordinate's face.  This usually doesn't end well for the subordinate.  Masks allow a limited amelioration of this effect.  Perhaps enough for the subordinate to exit the room gracefully before breaking into giggling and/or tears.
  3. Hiding boredom/Slacking:  Now, Rona has actually increased for many people the amount of time not being productive.  Especially in Government positions like that of your humble correspondent.  I would argue that people in my pay grade and environs are actually doing <50% of their old workload (I sometimes wish that I was in that demographic, Sigh).  Masks do disguise the inevitable facial cues accompanying boredom.
  4. Anti Close-talker: OK admit it, every group has one.  Truth the told, they usually end up being folks that you like, and you don't want to hurt their feelings, but close talkers are out there in every large organization.  Social distancing is somewhat alien to them.  They were good for a while, but I have noticed that they are now reverting to form.  Masks do minimize the side effect of flecks of spittle and halitosis.
  5. Negotiation Aid:   Work in a large organization has always been an ongoing negotiation.  I have a fairly accomplished poker face and can usually hold my own when added work is being dumped on me while the whiners get less because they whine.  Now, when the boss dumps work, she doesn't have to put up with the whipped puppy looks that she seems to fall for every time.

I am certain that there are other effects that I haven't cataloged here.  But that is a start.  Maybe I am rationalizing because I can't see a sudden turn-about until spring, but I am not looking at masks as a total nuisance anymore


No comments: